Club History

A group of 50 Dalmatian enthusiasts gathered together on 29th May 1952 at the Wentworth Cafe for the inaugural meeting of The Dalmatian Club of Victoria. An interim committee was elected and the club applied for affiliation with the Kennel Control Council. The problem of finance was solved with a quick 'whip around' for donations.

The first general meeting was held on the 8th of August 1952 at which a Mr Gillet was elected President. This meeting also adopted the clubs first constitution and the following year saw the first Open Parade in June and Championship Show in October. The club shows in those early days were held at the homes and properties of volunteering members whereas today the majority of shows are held at the Royal Melborne Showgrounds.

During the 1950's a Dog and Bitch of the year competition commenced which is still going strong today. Puppy of the year was added in 1966 and Obedience Dog of the year in the 1990's. The club Newsletter began in the 1960's and is still going strong with an issue published and sent to members 11 months of the year.

Membership of the club remains steady with 230 financial members, which makes the Victorian Dalmatian Club the biggest in Australia. The club holds one Championship Show a year in late October, an Open Show and two Members Competitions. The club also holds regular Obedience trials and fun days.